Toolbox is a client side Windows based utility that assists users with running the login script at any time (most helpful with VPN clients that do not run the login script after connecting), run a group policy update, identify the computer name, identify the IP address, or list all System Information with the click of a button. The client runs in the computer’s System Tray and is activated by right clicking the icon. This utility is very valuable in corporate environments for support purposes.
- Map Network Drives – This action will perform two actions. The first action will locate the user’s assigned login script in Active Directory of the logged in user and run the login script from the netlogon share. The supported script files are .bat, .cmd, .vbs, and .ps1. The second action will locate the user’s home directory and drive letter and map accordingly. The best use of this feature is for mobile user’s where drives are not mapped automatically after a VPN session, if shares are unavailable at the time of login and users require remapping the drives, or if changes are made to shares/drive letters and a remapping is required.
- Refresh Group Policy – This action will refresh the group policy on the device on demand without having to wait for the next scheduled update.
- System Information – This action will display all system information including system properties, network properties and manufacturer information. The serial number/model of the device, hardware specifications, and last reboot/up time are valuable pieces of information that is not easily available.
- What is my Computer Name? – This action will display the computer name. This is extremely helpful in environments where a computer name is used for tracking or remote control purposes.
- What is my IP Address? – This action will display both the primary and any secondary ip addresses. This is extremely helpful in environments where troubleshooting or remote controlling a device by IP address is required. The secondary ip addresses also assist in identifying users on a VPN connection.
- Exit – The Exit function is hidden from the user but can be activated by pressing Shift – Right Click. This ensures the application is always available to the user but can also be unloaded if necessary.
Toolbox, version 1.0.0 for Windows 8, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP, 2012, 2008, 2003. Requirements .net framework 3.5.
Toolbox is available free of charge but can be customized for your environment on a per user licensing agreement. Often corporations would like to add internal intranet sites to the toolbox or additional links/functionality. Please contact me for a price quote.
I also accept PayPal donations utilizing the following link.